Why The Jokes Need To Stop

I’ve been called many things in the 19 years i’ve been on this earth. Selfish, ungrateful… you know all the typical things people say in the heat of the moment or the things people say as an insulting joke. They can be hurtful but they aren’t as damaging as telling someone to kill themselves.

It’s hard to wrap your head around that anyone would even think of using mental health as a joke or an insult. So many people are quick to share their condolences to people who’ve killed themselves yet still don’t take ‘go kill yourself’ out of their insult book. But why?

It comes down to people and their own experiences. Maybe mental health doesn’t affect them so they can easily joke about it, or maybe they are affected by mental health issues but have learnt to joke about it as a coping mechanism. Either way, you have 0 clue as to what someone else is going through so using terms like telling someone to commit suicide is extremely unacceptable.

I think it’s even worse when it comes from someone in the blogging community who seems to befriend bloggers and become extremely friendly within a short space of time. Knowing someone 2 days doesn’t give you any right to tell them to kill themselves, knowing someone for 10 years doesn’t give you that right either.

Jokes post (2)Jokes post (1)

I think the most poignant opinion on this matter is from a lovely blogger named Soph who heartbreakingly lost her dad to suicide, this is what she had to say.

Jokes post (3)

It’s a given that although I feel extremely strong about this matter, not everyone is going to share the same opinion. That’s totally fine, we’re all individuals but I feel as though this is a topic that isn’t spoken about enough!

20938091_1539237392806452_773498119_n

Massive thank you to SophieBeth & Soph for sharing their opinions!

25 thoughts on “Why The Jokes Need To Stop

1. Life As Najida says:

This is so true! A few people that I know always tell people they don’t like to go kill themselves?? I actually asked them why they say it and they don’t even know why they do. It baffles me really. Great post x

2. Carly May says:

I haven’t really spoken about it before, but I lost a friend to suicide. It was absolutely heartbreaking since it was so sudden. It pains me even more that before it happened people made those sort of remarks, and continued to afterwards. A similar phrase that bothers me is when people say ‘this makes me want to kill myself’ in a ‘jokey’ manner, because again, it basically makes a joke out of suicide, but also it can be unclear as to whether or not the person is genuinely suicidal and needs help. This is a great post, Ellie. Thank you for shining a light on such a serious subject x

3. xhighlandbeauty says:

I very recently lost a friend to suicide, a friend who I grew up with in my late teenage years. I love how you are raising awareness on such a sensitive yet serious topic. People just don’t realise that behind a computer screen there is a real person, someone with feelings and emotions and you never really know what someone is going through. It’s easy to turn around to someone and say ‘just block them’ but a simple sentence can affect someone so deeply.

Heather | x Highland Beauty

The one thing I hate about social media is how easy it is for people to send such hurtful comments without thinking about how it may be affecting others! It’s very rare you’d see someone being told to kill themselves to their face so why is it acceptable online? How do these vile people know that the recipient of their horrible comments isn’t sat crying behind their laptop screen seriously considering suicide? Great post lovely I really hope this helps to raise awareness of these issues!

This is such a well written and thoughtful post Ellie. I agree, no one should ever joke about suicude and people saying things like that is so insensitive and harmful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on such an important topic, it was really interesting to hear others opinions on it too. Well done for raising awareness on this 💖 xx

6. Bambino Blogger says:

You wrote this in such beautiful words. I wouldn’t of known how to write this. It’s so disgusting how people joke about it. I know so many people at my school who say day after day about committing suicide, for example, my friend keeps saying “I’m going to commit suicide tonight” but he’s still alive. But I’ve said my two friends “Charlie said he’s going to commit suicide later” and they always say it’s for attention as he never does it..

Thank it for spreading awareness for this. Bambino blogger xx

7. mennarachel says:

This is such an amazing and thoughtful post! And so powerful. You’re so right. It should never be said in any circumstances, definitely not as a joke. It is not something you joke about. It’s wonderful that you’re talking about it and spreading awareness.
    Menna x

8. eviebraithwaite says:

Such an important post! People don’t think about how what they consider as a ‘joke’ can affect someone. Mental health and suicide and nothing to joke about, and we need more posts like this to spread awareness!

Evie x | https:/eviejayne.co.uk

9. ruthinrevolt says:

You’re absolutely right. I’m pretty chilled out in most cases, and will let a lot of things slide when it comes to jokes, but there will always be things which are off limits, and this is one of them. You just never know what someone else has been through or is going through and it’s such a silly thing to say which can never be funny in any case!

10. lifeofshar says:

I 100% agree! Reading this reminded me of when I was at school and someone said that to me, you don’t just forget about these things, people need to realise how much their words can affect people for year and years. I really enjoy reading your blog posts like this, even though it was hard to read 😦 amazing post Ellie xx