How I take Blog Pictures?

If you’ve ever wondered how or what I use to take my blog pictures then today’s your lucky day!

I realised that there’s a lot of preparation that goes into my blog pictures and it really isn’t as straight forward as point and shoot. I’ll admit that my early photography on my blog really isn’t the best but i’m so proud at how far i’m come and i’m happy with where my blog pictures are at today, needless to say i’m sure they’ll improve even more!

The first thing that I think is essential is a good background. If you’ve got marble surfaces or wooden floors or even just a plain white background anywhere in your house then you’re set. But unlike me, I don’t have that so I went to B&Q and took loads of samples of different wallpapers to use as background. These were free but smaller DIY stores do tend to charge you for the samples! I’ve got a few wooden effects, a marble one and some other cool ones!

IMG_5424

Props are something that are so essential to me. They add something extra to the photo which might otherwise be a bit plain. You can find props in your house like candles, plants or your makeup brushes. It’s definitely worth looking through your house to see what could be used before going out and buying stuff.

I did decide to splash a few ££ on some new blog props which include a pretty gold candle holder from Primark for £2.50, wooden scrabble type letters from Hobbycraft for around £2 and then some fake craft flowers from Hobbycraft again for £1. Primark do the cutest, yet most affordable, homeware and Hobbycraft have some little bits which are surprisingly quite cheap. If you’re after more homeware type stuff, why not take a trip to Ikea! I also have individual paint sample sheets from B&Q which are really handy too!

Blog Props

Something else in terms of props is this rose gold storage basket from Primark for around £3. These are multipurpose because you can use them to actually use them as storage, as props in pictures  and a place to store products you want to photograph. I was actually taking photos for a blog post that went up last week, read it here.

IMG_5480

In terms of actually taking the photo it is pretty simple but takes a while. I’ll lay out whatever background I think looks best and then sort out the props and products in a place that I think looks good. It takes some time to actually arrange them how I like and I can 100% say that i’ve not yet mastered the art of flatlays.

In terms of the technology I use, I prefer using an actual camera over a phone. A lot of phones now are really good quality and I’ve no problem with bloggers using them for photos but I just personally prefer to use my camera. The camera in question is the Canon 700d which I love to death. It has a flip-out viewfinder and touch screen controls. I have the standard kit lens with it as well as my absolute favourite 50mm lens, it works such a dream and is perfect for detailed shallow depth of field shots- think of those cool out of focus blurred lights some bloggers will put in the back of their photos!

Canon 50mm lens

Recently I invested in some inexpensive lighting for my blog for when it’s later on the in the day or raining and the lighting isn’t great. It’s really improved my photography game and i’m so happy I have it. I attach it to the shoe mount on top of the camera and it has different light intensities! If you do want to check out the light, click here, it was under £20 too!

In terms of editing, I rarely edit my photos. I usually use the RAW image. If I do want to touch up a photo I used to use Lightroom but I stopped paying for it after a few months and now use an app on my Macbook called PhotoscapeX.

That’s pretty much the process of how my blog pictures come to life and I hope you’ve found it enlightening. I’d love to know how you guys take your blog pictures?

A couple weeks ago I wrote a post on Skinny Bashing and i’d love if you could check it out!

cropped-img_20170817_084830_895

57 thoughts on “How I take Blog Pictures?

1. thelongestroadtowalk says:

This was really interesting to use! I use Canva and use the free photos from there because I work full time and hardly have enough time to write a post let alone do the photos for it 😅 but I’d love to start using my camera more and taking my own photos for my blog!
    I’ve got a Canon Eos M3 – that lighting add on looks really cool! Definitely going to have a look into it 😊

2. sharnahsblog says:

I never thought about going to B&Q before! I gave up with flatlays because I never knew how to create them but this post has gave me some amazing ideas so thanks! I normally use my phone or my little sony camera, I have a big Canon camera that maybe I should use more tbh! xx

3. zoehware says:

Your blog photos are beautiful!! Hearing you talk about getting different backgrounds and props really makes me want to go and get some new bits!! On the other hand I really don’t need anymore as I have so many props for photos already! Loved reading all about your process, and love the idea of paint swatches from B&Q!! xx

4. abbiejadewanders says:

The photos are often the trickiest part, especially when you can’t locate a whole bunch that you took (happened to me recently). How come you stopped using lightroom? Just wondering as I was thinking of paying the subscription! ☺️ 📷 ✨

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

5. blacktulipbeauty says:

I love this post, I have only recently started investing in props for my photos and it’s such a game changer! I got most of mine from The Range and they have such a huge variety for so cheap. I didn’t think of wallpaper samples, I’ve ended up buying a load of patterned paper books but ah well they were only £3 luckily! Those little scrabble letters are adorable, I’m so tempted by them…
    Alice Xx

6. Nancy says:

It’s pretty cool to learn how other bloggers take blog pictures. YESSS on marble! I’ve bought some marble wallpaper so I can have that clean background. It’s worth the investment! I love your rose gold basket! Thanks for sharing these tips!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

These are great tips Ellie! I’m glad you wrote this post as your photography is always amazing. B&Q is great for wallpaper samples and I recently checked out Primark too, they have some fab blog props! I need to visit Hobbycraft again soon, your scrabble letters and flowers were a bargain! Great post! xx

8. OlenaRosanne says:

Flatlays are definitely something I need to start practicing. For some reason think I need to have a better camera or at least a better lens attachment first. It would be wonderful if I had a craft store n my area that gave out samples 🙂 anyway thank you so much for the tips

9. Denèe M says:

I hadn’t thought about getting wallpaper samples for backgrounds before. That’s a super creative (and wallet-friendly) idea!

10. glowsteady says:

I’m very thankful that I opt for the clean and crisp look most of the time because my flatlay skills are basically non existent. Luckily, there’s a lot of white wood in my house. I’m so envious of people who manage to take amazing photos on their phones. It doesn’t matter how good the camera is, I always hate it unless it’s taken on a proper camera. Great tips here! x

Sophie

11. Liz Brannan says:

I love finding what people use as props in their photos! I’m so nosey ahah. I need to have a shop in hobbycraft to find some props as they do have some great stuff in. These tips are so useful for people who are just starting out!
    Liz xx

12. everythingevening says:

I love Hobby craft but I literally just buy things that are reduced because it is so expensive! I also have that primark basket, it’s so handy for my make up area. I honestly never realised you used wallpaper I thought it was flooring!!

13. ~Kerys says:

Thanks for sharing this! It was really interesting finding out how you take your blog photos! They’re always really pretty! That basket is beautiful!! And yay primark!

I really want to improve my blog photos and start taking them myself! xx❤️😀