London mini-break!

For Christmas, I bought my Mom a Virgin experience gift package for a trip to The Shard in London as well as a 3 course meal & cocktail for 2 at London Steakhouse Co. On Sunday 8th April to Monday 9th April we went for the experience and had such a lovely little weekend break. *If the images change quality throughout it’s because I switched from using my phone and my DSLR*

We ended up getting the train into London Marylebone instead of Euston which i’ve always done when i’ve gone to London because it’s easier. Going to Marylebone was a lot cheaper and the train times were a lot better. From there we went to Westminster Abbey which was actually closed for sightseeing on Sunday’s and meant our itinerary was messed up! We then walked on down to Downing street although you can’t actually walk up there, there’s gates and armed officers stood there.

After a slightly bad start to our plans we went to the Natural History museum which is free of charge. It was so interesting to read about dinosaurs and see real life stuffed animals- it was weird but intriguing. I’m not normally interested in museum’s but I really enjoyed this one. I also had a really nice cheese sandwich in the cafe.

IMG_4859IMG_4861IMG_4866IMG_4872IMG_4874IMG_4880IMG_4883IMG_4884IMG_4889

After the museum we were extremely tired from all the walking and travelling we decided to head back to the hotel that we’d booked. We stayed at the London Farringdon Travelodge which was about a 15 minute walk from Kings cross station. For £39 we had a double room, 24 hour wifi and a buffet breakfast. On arrival we were told we’d got upgraded to a Super-room which i’d stayed in before when I was in London last year. You get a coffee machine, bedside power-points which have USB ports so you don’t need a plug adapter, a choice of different pillows, mood lighting which is super cool and other features you don’t get in a standard room.

Next on the list of things to do was go for the meal at the fancy steak restaurant and it was amazing. I had butternut-squash soup for starters, 8oz rump steak for main, sticky toffee pudding for dessert and a passion jazz cocktail. It was such a nice experience going to a fancy restaurant because I never have before, it was a nice end to a tiring day.

20180408_192239.jpg20180408_195201.jpg

On the Monday it wasn’t meant to be raining so when we woke up to it pouring down, we were disappointed. We had our viewing at The Shard for 11am and it wasn’t looking to brighten up at all so when we got there we were informed it was zero visibility which meant you couldn’t see a thing. We obviously couldn’t predict what the weather was going to be when we booked it but luckily we get to go back any time within a year which I thought was a good gesture. You’re meant to be able to see loads of the landmarks and all we could see was the outline of buildings! The experience of it was still good.

IMG_489920180409_111446.jpg

Since the day had been cut short a little bit due to not being up The Shard that long we went over to Westminster Abbey to actually go inside and look around. We got a free audio guide and it was so interesting learn about the history and look around the beautiful tombs. We weren’t allowed to take pictures inside but nonetheless I feel like I learnt a lot about monarch’s of the past. You could also see the London eye from across the road. IMG_4832IMG_4836

By the afternoon we weren’t really sure what to do because of the fact we’d gone and done most things we wanted to do and we’d pretty much done all of the typical London things when we went last year so we headed off to Waterloo to find somewhere for lunch. We then went to covent Garden where I found a really cute Moomin shop and got a few bits and we also went to Carnaby street where I went in the Too Faced shop (which was gorgeous) and got a super cute makeup bag!

IMG_4906IMG_490720180409_121544.jpg20180409_120819.jpg20180409_120156.jpg20180409_120754.jpg

The rest of the day was a bit of wandering around as it was too late to go to any other museums so we looked around St.Pancras and headed to Euston where we were getting our train home.

IMG_4904IMG_4855IMG_4851IMG_485220180408_153828.jpg

We had such a lovely 2 days and I can’t wait to go back when we get to go to The Shard and hopefully we’ll be able to see the sights! Have you ever been to London?20938091_1539237392806452_773498119_n

42 thoughts on “London mini-break!

1. Angela says:

This post has me wanting to pack my bag and hop on the next flight to London! It sounds like you had a lovely time, but it’s such a shame about missing out on the Shard due to the weather. At least it gives you another excuse to head back there 😉 Xx

Liked by 3 people

2. Rachel says:

That looks awesome! However, I’m not a big fan of NHM displays, they’re a bit outdated, mismatched and some of the taxidermy is botched or faded. I did get a “backstage” tour of the museum with my course where we got to see more specimens! I go to London once every few months, mainly just for gigs, but I’m going on my birthday later this month for dinner and show with my boyfriend!

Rachel || anotherstationanotermile.com

Liked by 2 people

3. Phoebe Rose says:

I love reading posts like this – chatting about a day out! I can’t wait to go to that Moomin shop, it looks amazing! Aw that’s such a shame about the Shard but it’ll look amazing going back in the summer or something!

Phoebe x

itsphoeberose.com

Liked by 3 people

4. alexandraageorgiaa says:

Looks like you had a great time in London! I’ve only been for day trips and it’s so exhausting trying to cram everything in before it’s time to come home. Such a shame about the weather and The Shard, but at least you got to see parts of London that you weren’t intending to visit! Lovely pictures xx

Liked by 3 people

5. andthenzen says:

Such a shame that the visibility was so bad, but it’s great that you get to go back.. 🙊 I’m such a big fan of Covent Garden – there are some really cute cafes and shops around there, it’s so pretty! 😍

Liked by 3 people

We always get the train from Marylebone too as it’s always way cheaper! I can’t believe you got a hotel for £39 a night! We usually pay at least £99 in London and that’s for a travelodge which is outside central London! So glad you get another trip to The Shard hopefully your view will be better next time! I love Carnaby Street and really regret not picking up the Too Faced Just Peachy Mattes palette last time I was there!

Liked by 2 people

7. astrobeks says:

What a lovely gift to get for your mum! Despite the weather, it sounds like you had a great time and the pictures are so pretty – I haven’t been to London in so long, I can’t wait to go back!

~ Beka / astrobeks.wordpress.com

Liked by 3 people

8. insidemegansmind says:

I’ve never been to London but I’ve always wanted to go. I mean, I pretty much want to go anywhere in Europe since I live in the US lol. It looks like such a fun time though and I love all your photos. Great post!

Megan xx insidemegansmind.com

Liked by 3 people

9. Love from Lucy says:

Hope you had a lovely time! Such the shame the weather was a bit rubbish and ruined the view but at least you made the most of the day and did some sight seeing! Also i Love the natural history museam and any museam haha such a great way to spend a few hours

Liked by 3 people

10. Amy's Bookshelf says:

I LOVE the National History Museum! So many cool things there 🙂 I’ve been meaning to go to the Shard for ages! But it’s a shame you didn’t get a nicer day, but at least you can go back (hopefully when it’s sunny!) Great post!

Liked by 2 people

11. rachel louise 💐✨ (@kyvbey) says:

I love your photos from the Museum! I’ve never been to London before, because I get a little panicked in places that are super busy and congested, but I’ve always been fascinated by the History Museum, so thank you for the little glimpse into that!

Rachel // kyvbey.blogspot.com

Liked by 2 people

12. SeekingSammy says:

This looks like such a fun trip! I have visited London a few times and loved it 🙂 I’ve still never visited the Shard though. I think I will have to visit on my next trip!

Liked by 2 people

Sounds like a lovely little trip to London Ellie! 💖 It’s kind they gave you another ticket to The Shard because of the weather. I love walking around Covent Garden, I’m definitely going to check out The Moomin shop next time I visit! Great post and loved your photography! 😘 xx

Liked by 2 people